Monday, March 16, 2009

The Bumpkin Has Been Bitten

The Bumpkin used to do a lot of reading. That is before I found the blogging world. Now it seems like all I ever read is what is going on in your life. Let me tell you, sometimes it's the best books I have ever read.
Currently I am reading this book!

Emily Griffin is going to be a new favorite of mine, I can just tell. I think anyone who has every been truly blinded by love and moved on, can relate to this one. A lot of southern belle in this book too! I recently purchased all of her chic lit books, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Baby Proof, and Love The One Your With on Ebay as a package set. I started with Love The One Your With, so no spoilers on the others if you have read them, please.
However, I have seen what the rest of you are reading. It's one of two vampire series. Some of you are even in secret lust for one of two blood suckers. I have been there!
So when you are done with your perspective modern day vampire series, I want you to take a trip back in time to the early 1980's. In The Bumpkin's youthful days, I lusted for a vampire named Lestat. The original vampire of the literary world. Anne Rice, a native New Orleans author wrote a series called the Vampire Chronicles, many full moons ago. Lestat appears in the first book, but is featured in this one.

She wrote this series of books, sitting in a hand full of coffee shops in New Orleans with pen and plain old wire bound notebook. She still writes the same way to this day.

Now Ms. Jo, thinks this series, The Mayfair Witches is the best of Anne Rice.
It's the tale of a family of witches in New Orleans, the above is the first book of the series. I personally have not read these, but have heard rave reviews of this set over the years. You all know that Voodoo, and witchcraft are very much alive in New Orleans, don't you? The Gypsies are also very colorful in the Big Easy. I know two witches, personally, and maintain the "to each their own" theory on the subject, but these women are respected and honored in their "communities." One is even a Christian. Don't ask, I don't know. Traditions, maybe, their heritage for certain.
So for the big question and the main reason for this post. I must ask you readers out there who have been bitten by this, which one do I read first?
Some people say this one is for the younger crowd.

But, I know a Vintage Thirty who loved them. Please tell me what you think of this series, The Bumpkin hits the big 40 this year, and My John has me on a Ebay budget, so I don't want to waste it.

Now Ms. Jo thinks I should read this series.

She is a Trueblood fan.
To help with this little predicament The Bumpkin is in, I have placed a poll on my sidebar ----> over there for you to vote. I'm putting it in your hands, and you all will be held responsible. Please feel free to use the comment section to state your case in length, as well.
Thanks with Love,
The Bumpkin

5 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

Oh I love emily's books! great picks! Come see your award on my blog Tuesday!

sweet tea in a pink glass said...

I loved "love the one your with", I've read all of her books. I think you have inspired me to hit up the used bookstore today...thanks.

Bethany said...

I looooove reading but have been somewhat of a reading slacker lately too.

I loved Twilight!! Haven't read any of EG's books but I have a couple.

Maybe you just inspired me. :)

Housewife Savant said...

Something's wrong with my blog updates. On the bright side; every time I come to The Swing there are one or two posts waiting for me.
I read Twilight x4 in about a week, despite my advancing age.
It's fluff, but fluff has it's place.
With two tween girls at home you know I'll be seeing the movie versions until I'm [holycrapHOWold?!]
I'm a big Dracula fan and prefer Team Stoker to Edward OR Jacob.
Rice's books are Way Up on my list, but you KNOW that after excaping fundies I HAD to read HARRY POTTER,(delightful/harmless/LONG books.)
I say pretend it's a dessert buffet, and READ 'EM ALL.

Surf Girl said...

I read Something Borrowed on my little weekend getaway and I am totally hooked. I think she will be one of my new favorites too!