Thursday, February 19, 2009

Damn That's A Great Cherry Cake!


This recipe courtesy of Ms. Jo, The Queen of the Back Porch, and a lady I really needed in my life. We nailed this down over our daily afternoon cup of coffee. Glad I can share some of this lady's cooking with you all. Looks tough, but no just like everything with Jo, stress free!



Prepare 1 Box of Betty Crocker Pineapple Cake mix according to directions, EXCEPT substitute the water with Pineapple juice. Bake in two round pans, and then cool completely.

For the icing:
2 8oz tubs of Cool Whip thawed(maybe I should have said container here, but hell it as a tub, you know, a tub of cool whip.)
2 8oz bars of cream cheese softened.
2 cups of granulated sugar
1 Large instant Vanilla Pudding, prepared according to directions(It took us a while to come up with the exact words for make the damn puddin')
Using hand mixer, mix until smooth, and peaks begin to form.

Using a large serrated knife, place one hand on top of each cake layer, and slice in half. They must be completely cool for this to work well.

You will need two large cans of either Cherry or Blueberry pie filling.

Start with a cake layer, and then add the icing mixture in center only do not cover sides with icing. Then pour a layer of cherry pie filling, then repeat until you get to the top layer of cake. Generously cover the top layer with icing, so that it overflows on to the sides of the cake, a little not a lot. Then generously pour remaining pie filling over top layer of icing, letting ooze all the way to your cake plate. Ms Jo says, "You can never have to many cherries!" Chill until serving.

4th of July spin: Use both cherry and blueberry filling for a great Red, White, and Blue.

Ms. Jo is perfecting a tropical version of this cake over the next few weeks. We will share before summer!

Love,
The Bumpkin

3 comments:

Housewife Savant said...

I'm slobbering and nearly speechless. This REALLY makes me want to fall off the Atkins wagon. Heck, I'd JUMP off for a slab o' that cake! Yummo.
I'm adding it to my Holiday Hog Log (the "What to Eat When OFF the Diet" list.)

Cas said...

Ok now, I don't care much for cherries but that looks A.Ma.Zing. and I am going to try it : )

Surf Girl said...

Oh....Now I HAVE to make that this weekend. It looks soooo yummy!!