Friday, August 13, 2010

In Loving Memory

On behalf of Lisa's family and friends, thank you so very much for all the emails, calls and comments after her sudden passing.  Your words and kindness have been such a comfort, and the memories and tribute posts created in her honor have been so touching to read.  I've added a link below; if you could please link your post, so that the everyone, especially John, can click through and read them, I know it would be appreciated.   I've been asked to share her obituary below, which includes contribution information to a local charitable animal rescue fund, which Lisa and John founded years ago.

***

Lisa Gaye, 40, passed away on Sunday, August 8, 2010.  She was a resident of Ocean Springs, MS.


Lisa was accomplished at many things in her life, and loved very much by many.  She had so many talents, passions, and special abilities that affected all that knew her.  Most recently Lisa found a knack for writing, and had a blog that had many followers from all over the world.



She also was passionate about animal adoption and saving animals from the Gulf Coast Oil spill.


 Lisa had many jobs throughout her life, but her talents with leadership, organization, and compassion for others is what ultimately made her successful in any endeavor she pursued.


Lisa was special to so many people and was a very influential and loving person. She loved John, her “Captain”, very much and they shared many wonderful years together. Her memory will live on in our hearts forever.


Lisa's family and friends celebrated her life in a private gathering at her request.  In lieu of flowers, please donate any contributions to the “Alvin Flowers Fund” via the Ocean Springs Police Department.

Ocean Springs Police Department
c/o Animal Control Division
Attn:  Alvin Flowers Fund
503 Dewey Avenue
Ocean Springs, MS 39564

***


"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow them."
- Louisa May Alcott





***

Family and friends gathered at the couple's home Wednesday evening for a Memorial service to honor and celebrate Lisa.  John made sure that everything was absolutely perfect, even a crystal chandelier in the backyard tent, fit for a queen.  There were some tears, but as Lisa would want it, there were plenty of smiles and hugs in memory of her joyous spirit. 


I personally met Alvin Flowers at Lisa's Memorial, the man for whom Lisa and John created the animal rescue foundation mentioned above years ago.  Alvin's selfless work in coordinating rescue efforts, particularly for dogs in the greater Gulf Coast region, has resulted in less than 1% of the animals rescued by the Police Department to be sent to animal shelters.  


As you may or may not be aware, John and Lisa lived with their "20 Paws of Love," five rescue dogs that melted their hearts daily, and this cause is one that they both passionately supported.

Captain John is staying very strong, and has promised to keep in touch.  He would like to personally thank each of your thoughtfulness, friendship and support of Lisa and her blog.


It is so obvious the number of people whose lives Lisa has touched.  I know I am not alone when I say that I am humbled, honored and above all extremely fortunate to have been known such a wonderful lady and amazing friend. 


We will continue to celebrate our angel in heaven, and will forever keep her memory alive in our hearts.



Love, kindness and peaceful wishes,


Obituary written by Lisa's nieces Sara, Teresa and Amber. 
(Images via)

***


39 comments:

Jen said...

Today has been filled with tears. And they're not stopping....

makeupthoughts said...

I am so sad and shocked!I will miss you!

...Rest in peace...

Dee from Chicago

Anonymous said...

I am so sad, so sad....

LAV LAV LAV LAV LAV LAV LAV LAV

Agneta

Cool Gal said...

I am deeply heartbroken by Lisa's sudden passing.

It was truly an honor to be her friend, if only in the blogging world. He witty and caring comments would brighten my day as well as her beautiful posts.

I will miss her dearly.

May you find comfort in your family and friends during this difficult time.

Her memories will forever be in your hearts and souls.

this free bird said...

Trish,

Thank you so much for the update, obituary and memorial information. You, the Captain and all of Lisa's friends and family are in my prayers. I have been up well into the night thinking about her and what a special friend and person she was. God's many blessings to each and every one of you.

xoxo,
Carrie

Lori said...

Trish ~ I have been thinking about all of you all week. Thank you so much for this post and know that you, Matt & John along with those 20 paws of love will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs & Love.
Lori
xo

debra@dustjacket said...

So very heartbreaking, but thank you for sharing the obituary by Sara, Teresa and Amber. We do appreciate it so much Trishy...you have chosen beautiful images for our Lisa too.

All my love
DJ

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, sweet Trishy. This is so beautiful. All my love to you, Matt, Captain John, and everyone connected with our Bumpkin.
Take gentle care.
xoRobyn

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful post, and for sharing Lisa's tribute. Prayers are with you, Captain John, and all those who continue to love Lisa.

Michelle said...

I am so sadden by this news. Lisa was such a sweetie to me a few months ago when, in blog land there were some not so nice folks...she reached out and just made it all better. My prayers go to her sweet and very loved husband and fur babies.

Thank you, Trish, for such a wonderful tribute. It must have been so hard to put words to such a friend.

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful things about Lisa. I am crying all over again. I miss her.

Marcie said...

I can't believe how emotional I have been over someone I never met. It just goes to show how truly special Lisa was and how much she touched me everyday with her beautiful posts and sweet comments. And for that I am grateful.

Marcie

SouthernBelleJM said...

this makes me so sad:( i will miss her dearly. lisa was so funny and always so sweet!

Birdie said...

Lisa was such a bright spot in our blogosphere. I LOVED her wordless Wednesday pics and looked forward to her posts each day. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Splenderosa said...

Trish & John, I have been awaiting this news, so thank you for sharing with all of us. I have linked the posts I made for her, it was my way of grieving at her sudden departure. I simply cannot believe how I miss her & think of all of you. Each of you will be in my heart forever. It was a privilege to know her & her brilliant spirit. Stay well, Captain, we all want to hear from you again...maybe you should start your own blog for us!! Sending love from Texas, Marsha

Cheeseboy said...

Bumpkin... you will be missed.

One of my first and most beloved blogging friends.

BonjourRomance said...

I will continue to keep you Captain John and your dear family in my thoughts and prayers. Lisa was such a positive light in Blogland, and will not be forgotten!
Mimi

Tire Swing Mom said...

So sad. Praying for her family.

Holly Lefevre said...

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. You all have been on my mind constantly. Continued prayer and thoughts are with you.

Unknown said...

Thank you Trish for sharing her story with us. My heart breaks for you and all her friends and family.

Unknown said...

Hi everyone,
Heather here, Lisa's neice. Thank you so much for your comments about my aunt.. We miss her so much as I know you all do as well. Her captain is doing okay. He left town for the week to clear his head. He is definitely going to keep in touch with you all through Lisa's blog (after I teach him how to get on the internet).. Lisa took care of all of that for him until now, But he will learn. Trish, you my dear have been a lifesaver. You, Matt, and your mother-in-law are absolutely amazing people. Thank you for all you did for my family.
With love, Heather
P.S. Trish i emailed you some new pictures of the swing. I am pretty sure you will love them.

DSS said...

Thank you again for sharing with us! What a beautiful memorial service, truly fit for a queen:)

Look forward to catching up with you, after you have the chance to 'take a minute' for yourself. Will link up on Mon, as I can't figure it out from the BB.

Love you girl! Big hugs!!
T

DSS said...

Thank you again for sharing with us! What a beautiful memorial service, truly fit for a queen:)

Look forward to catching up with you, after you have the chance to 'take a minute' for yourself. Will link up on Mon, as I can't figure it out from the BB.

Love you girl! Big hugs!!
T

Unknown said...

It's been a week since you've gone. I am going to see Eat, Pray, Love today and I know you would love that movie. I also watching Good Will Hunting the other day and I remembered how you liked the line "how do you like them apples?" hahaha. Miss you much. The out-pouring of love from all of you has touched our family's heart. Thank you.

peggy gatto said...

I am so sorry to hear about Lisa. It Struck me because I lost a friend of 35 years to ovarian cancer.
Lisa was far too young.
The night does not frighten me, my friends are in the stars.

My Little Boudoir said...

I am shocked...this is devastating. My prayers are with Lisa and her loved ones.

Memoirs of a Makeup Addict said...

Lisa and her captain are in my thoughts and prayers.
XoXo
Heather

Pink Champagne said...

What a beautiful obituary and tribute to Lisa. Continuing to send love and prayers constantly. XO

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Thank you so much for keeping us informed with those posts T. I know it must be hard. Hugs! Miss you Lisa!

Salt said...

My thoughts and prayers are with her family and especially Captain John. I hope he checks in from time to time.

This is heartbreaking....the world is at such a loss without her.

Anonymous said...

I only just started following her when she passed. Her posts and life seemed so lovely and uplifting. It's so sad that she is gone too soon.

Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi said...

My heart and prayers goes out to Lisa's family and friends.

Beagle said...

I have been a bit behind in my blog reading and just found out today. I am so sad to hear of her passing. My prayers are with Jon and family - she will be missed by so many people. A bright spirit in this world has passed onto the next journey...travel well and in peace.

Jennifer T said...

oh how i miss the bumpkins posts..such a sweet sweet, passionate soul she was/is! i admired the love and devotion she had for animals. that is something i shared with her...although i never met her in person, i considered her a friend of mine. through my pregnancy (baby boy was born on 7/8/10) she sent me emails with advice on things such as what stretch mark creams to use, etc! haha! she posted the sweetest comments on my facebook page. i really do miss you bumpkin...i hope you are dancing up in heaven :)

Meg said...

I am having a hard to linking my page int he entries.

http://thewayiseeit-megs.blogspot.com/2010/08/wordless-wednesday-for-bumpkin-on-her.html

Fé... said...

This is really heartbreaking, when someone you really love has to go. My deepest condolences for the grieving family...

Jenny said...

I am shocked. And saddened.

But a legacy of compassion and love she has left behind.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Hugs and blessings to all.

Lou said...

I feel like I am just catching up - I have been away and now I am back, I see what has happened...so utterly shocked and saddened by this news about Lisa. I am so very sorry - have already walked away from my computer and then back again trying to find the words. But there are none. The first time Lisa left me a comment on my blog, I was thinking 'WHO IS THIS GIRL?!' such ingenuity and joy! She was like none other. I really don't know what to think - other than to send love and support to the Captain and family and dear friends. Lou xx

Sierra said...

my heart is just breaking. i had no idea that Lisa had passed away since i took a 3 month blogging break recently. she truly was such a special lady and blogger with such a big heart! thank you Trish for your thoughtful posts and so glad you can continue the blog with remembrance of such a beautiful spirit!